- 1 Why are used school buses so cheap?
- 2 How do you buy an old school bus?
- 3 What is the best bus for conversion?
- 4 How many miles can a school bus last?
- 5 How much does it cost to buy an old school bus?
- 6 How much is an old school bus worth?
- 7 Who makes the best school bus?
- 8 How much does it cost to insure a bus?
- 9 How many miles per gallon does a school bus get?
- 10 What is the best engine for a Skoolie?
- 11 How long does it take to convert a Skoolie?
- 12 What school bus has the most headroom?
- 13 How many miles can a bus engine last?
- 14 What is considered high mileage on a school bus?
- 15 How many miles can a bus drive?
Why are used school buses so cheap?
Prices of Used Buses One reason why used buses are so cheap is that they may not meet government regulations (discussed below) and thus cannot be purchased by government agencies. Another reason why they are so cheap is that many of them are just purchased for parts.
How do you buy an old school bus?
Where to buy a school bus
- 1.govdeals.com. This is where we bought our second bus.
- Craigslist.com. This is where we bought our first bus.
- publicsurplus.com. Public Surplus is an auction site.
- eBay.com. This is another great place to search with the option of local pickup.
- The Facebook Marketplace.
What is the best bus for conversion?
The best school bus for conversion is a short bus like our Thomas MinoTour Ford E-450 which offers more maneuverability, easier driving and parking, and better gas mileage than it’s larger counterparts.
How many miles can a school bus last?
These standards determine the maximum age and mileage for which a bus should be used. Smith said buses are expected to last about 12-15 years and 250,000 miles under normal conditions.
How much does it cost to buy an old school bus?
How Much Does a School Bus Cost? Market prices for retired school buses vary by location and the age and condition of individual buses, but for a ballpark figure, a standard 72-seater that’s 34-feet long starts at around $3,000.
How much is an old school bus worth?
A used bus, depending on the condition and specifications, can run anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000, while a new bus will hit in the $50,000 range or higher.
Who makes the best school bus?
Top 10 School Bus Companies
- Wayne Corporation. Topping our list of companies is Wayne Corporation.
- Blue Bird. An all time giant, the Blue Bird Corporation (formerly called Blue Bird Body Company) is clearly one of the top school bus manufacturing companies even today.
- Gillig Corporation.
- Ward body Works.
- IC Buses.
- Thomas Built Buses.
How much does it cost to insure a bus?
On one end of the spectrum is insurance for private organizations like churches, scout troops, and bingo parlors with small 15-passenger buses. The average cost of bus insurance coverages.
How many miles per gallon does a school bus get?
Buses are the safest way to get children to school, but they’re also fuel hogs that get only 4 to 6 miles per gallon.
What is the best engine for a Skoolie?
There are exceptions, like i think steve’s bus gets around 10 mpg, but the gas buses i’ve been around are full size and get about 5 mpg or less. it seems the dt466 is widely considered one of the best skoolie engines because of it’s longevity and durability. parts are also readily available.
How long does it take to convert a Skoolie?
When people ask us how long does it take to convert a bus, the answer is 16-20 weeks.
What school bus has the most headroom?
What School Bus has the most Headroom? The largest school bus interior headroom heights currently offered in 2021 are 78 inches (6.5 feet) which are provided by GreenPower Motor Co.
How many miles can a bus engine last?
Finding buses with LOW mileage is uncommon, but don’t be discouraged. My rule of thumb when I was shopping for a bus was a well maintained gas bus with under 100,000 miles or a well maintained diesel bus with under 200,000. In theory, a well maintained diesel engine can practically run forever.
What is considered high mileage on a school bus?
Highest on a school bus would be over 300,000. The way our district rotaion goes, we sell our buses after 10 to 12 years, so they rarely accumulate more than 200,000 miles. On the other hand, I have seen coaches with well over 800,000 miles on them.
How many miles can a bus drive?
In general, most American transit systems expect their buses to have a useful life of 12 years and 250,000 miles.