- 1 Why are used school buses so cheap?
- 2 How do you buy an old school bus?
- 3 How much is a new short bus?
- 4 How many miles do school buses last?
- 5 What is the best bus to convert?
- 6 How much is an old school bus worth?
- 7 Who makes the best school bus?
- 8 How much does it cost to insure a bus?
- 9 How many miles per gallon does a school bus get?
- 10 How long is a short bus?
- 11 What should I look for when buying a school bus?
- 12 How long is a 72 passenger bus?
- 13 How many miles is too many for a school bus?
- 14 What is considered high mileage on a school bus?
- 15 How long does a bus engine last?
Why are used school buses so cheap?
Prices of Used Buses One reason why used buses are so cheap is that they may not meet government regulations (discussed below) and thus cannot be purchased by government agencies. Another reason why they are so cheap is that many of them are just purchased for parts.
How do you buy an old school bus?
Where to buy a school bus
- 1.govdeals.com. This is where we bought our second bus.
- Craigslist.com. This is where we bought our first bus.
- publicsurplus.com. Public Surplus is an auction site.
- eBay.com. This is another great place to search with the option of local pickup.
- The Facebook Marketplace.
How much is a new short bus?
Expect to pay $6,000 – 10,000 for a short school bus for sale with a truck chassis that has been well maintained, has little rust, and is ready to be converted and hit the road. These truck chassis short buses can be harder to find, especially if you are looking for a specific engine/transmission configuration.
How many miles do school buses last?
These standards determine the maximum age and mileage for which a bus should be used. Smith said buses are expected to last about 12-15 years and 250,000 miles under normal conditions.
What is the best bus to convert?
The best school bus for conversion is a short bus like our Thomas MinoTour Ford E-450 which offers more maneuverability, easier driving and parking, and better gas mileage than it’s larger counterparts.
How much is an old school bus worth?
A used bus, depending on the condition and specifications, can run anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000, while a new bus will hit in the $50,000 range or higher.
Who makes the best school bus?
Top 10 School Bus Companies
- Wayne Corporation. Topping our list of companies is Wayne Corporation.
- Blue Bird. An all time giant, the Blue Bird Corporation (formerly called Blue Bird Body Company) is clearly one of the top school bus manufacturing companies even today.
- Gillig Corporation.
- Ward body Works.
- IC Buses.
- Thomas Built Buses.
How much does it cost to insure a bus?
On one end of the spectrum is insurance for private organizations like churches, scout troops, and bingo parlors with small 15-passenger buses. The average cost of bus insurance coverages.
How many miles per gallon does a school bus get?
Buses are the safest way to get children to school, but they’re also fuel hogs that get only 4 to 6 miles per gallon.
How long is a short bus?
A short bus is from 20 – 25 feet in length. This makes it a perfect choice for those looking to be able to go and park anywhere a larger truck can park.
What should I look for when buying a school bus?
Here are 5 important things to inspect before buying a bus
- Chassis. The chassis is the frame of the bus. It is important that you check to make sure it is not bent or rusty.
- Rust. Depending on the age of the bus, you can expect to see some surface rust. If you see more rust spots than yellow paint, walk away.
How long is a 72 passenger bus?
a 72 – passenger bus will be about 34 feet long.
How many miles is too many for a school bus?
If you see anything with less than 60,000, from personal experience I’d say buy it. Since most companies want good use of the bus, they often wait to retire it til it reaches a certain mileage, like after 60,000 or 100,000. Finding buses with LOW mileage is uncommon, but don’t be discouraged.
What is considered high mileage on a school bus?
Highest on a school bus would be over 300,000. The way our district rotaion goes, we sell our buses after 10 to 12 years, so they rarely accumulate more than 200,000 miles. On the other hand, I have seen coaches with well over 800,000 miles on them.
How long does a bus engine last?
Some alternatively fueled engines like propane or gasoline may need to be replaced two to three times during the normal lifecycle of a school bus. Clean-diesel engines, on the other hand, are built to last 15-20 years.