- 1 How much does it cost to buy an old school bus?
- 2 Where can I buy a Skoolie bus?
- 3 What should I look for when buying a school bus?
- 4 Why are school buses so cheap?
- 5 How many miles do school buses last?
- 6 How many mpg do school buses get?
- 7 What is the best bus to convert?
- 8 How many seats are on a Bluebird school bus?
- 9 What is the best school bus to convert to RV?
- 10 Who makes the best school bus?
- 11 How much does a school bus transmission cost?
- 12 How do I buy a short bus?
- 13 What is the safest seat on a school bus?
- 14 Which states require seatbelts on school buses?
- 15 Why do buses have no seat belts?
How much does it cost to buy an old school bus?
How Much Does a School Bus Cost? Market prices for retired school buses vary by location and the age and condition of individual buses, but for a ballpark figure, a standard 72-seater that’s 34-feet long starts at around $3,000.
Where can I buy a Skoolie bus?
The best places to buy a used school bus for sale include classifieds, such as Skoolie Livin Classifieds, government auction sites, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay Motors.
What should I look for when buying a school bus?
Here are 5 important things to inspect before buying a bus
- Chassis. The chassis is the frame of the bus. It is important that you check to make sure it is not bent or rusty.
- Rust. Depending on the age of the bus, you can expect to see some surface rust. If you see more rust spots than yellow paint, walk away.
Why are school buses so cheap?
When purchased new, buses can cost anywhere from $300,000 – $600,000. One reason why used buses are so cheap is that they may not meet government regulations (discussed below) and thus cannot be purchased by government agencies. Another reason why they are so cheap is that many of them are just purchased for parts.
How many miles do school buses last?
These standards determine the maximum age and mileage for which a bus should be used. Smith said buses are expected to last about 12-15 years and 250,000 miles under normal conditions.
How many mpg do school buses get?
The average bus gets between 6 and 9 mpg, depending on many factors (size of bus, wind, speed, and of course how heavily loaded). That being said, it’s not usually gas mileage. The majority of buses have diesel engines. Some run on propane, and a few on gasoline, but mostly diesel.
What is the best bus to convert?
The best school bus for conversion is a short bus like our Thomas MinoTour Ford E-450 which offers more maneuverability, easier driving and parking, and better gas mileage than it’s larger counterparts.
How many seats are on a Bluebird school bus?
This might be the answer that many customers have been waiting for! The Blue Bird Vision Conventional can now seat 83 PASSENGERS. This is an excellent option for customers who are looking for more capacity than the standard 71 or 77 passengers, but who also still want the ability to choose a Gasoline or Propane Engine.
What is the best school bus to convert to RV?
Well, the best, absolute best choice would be the Crown SuperCoach. It will look superb when converting it. They usually come only equipped with a mid-engine diesel with stick shift setup, but they’re very low maintenance.
Who makes the best school bus?
Top 10 School Bus Companies
- Wayne Corporation. Topping our list of companies is Wayne Corporation.
- Blue Bird. An all time giant, the Blue Bird Corporation (formerly called Blue Bird Body Company) is clearly one of the top school bus manufacturing companies even today.
- Gillig Corporation.
- Ward body Works.
- IC Buses.
- Thomas Built Buses.
How much does a school bus transmission cost?
If the bus is running, and you are fine with the power it has, you should set aside at least $3,000 to get it into reasonable condition. A modern matching diesel automatic transmission costs as much as $20,000.
How do I buy a short bus?
Where to buy a school bus
- 1.govdeals.com. This is where we bought our second bus.
- Craigslist.com. This is where we bought our first bus.
- publicsurplus.com. Public Surplus is an auction site.
- eBay.com. This is another great place to search with the option of local pickup.
- The Facebook Marketplace.
What is the safest seat on a school bus?
The safest seat in a school bus is generally in the middle, in an aisle seat on the right hand side, between the tires. It’s safer if there’s a head-on, side and rear-end collision. It is also less bumpy and jarring to the body. In addition, studies show that children are often injured approaching or leaving the bus.
Which states require seatbelts on school buses?
Texas. Texas laws require that school districts should ensure that new school buses have the three-point shoulder-to-lap seat belts. Florida along with Texas and California are the only states in the US that require three-point seat belts as in cars. Most other states require lap seat belts in school buses.
Why do buses have no seat belts?
NHTSA decided the best way to provide crash protection to passengers of large school buses is through a concept called “compartmentalization.” This requires that the interior of large buses protect children without them needing to buckle up.