- 1 Why are used school buses so cheap?
- 2 How do I buy a short bus?
- 3 What is the best bus to convert?
- 4 How many miles can a school bus last?
- 5 How much is an old school bus worth?
- 6 What is the best school bus to convert to RV?
- 7 What should I know before buying a school bus?
- 8 How long is a short bus?
- 9 How many miles per gallon does a short bus get?
- 10 How many miles can a school bus go on a tank of gas?
- 11 Who makes the best school bus?
- 12 How much does it cost to convert a shuttle bus?
- 13 How many miles is too many for a school bus?
- 14 What is considered high mileage on a school bus?
- 15 How many miles can a bus drive?
Why are used school buses so cheap?
Prices of Used Buses One reason why used buses are so cheap is that they may not meet government regulations (discussed below) and thus cannot be purchased by government agencies. Another reason why they are so cheap is that many of them are just purchased for parts.
How do I buy a short bus?
Where to buy a school bus
- 1.govdeals.com. This is where we bought our second bus.
- Craigslist.com. This is where we bought our first bus.
- publicsurplus.com. Public Surplus is an auction site.
- eBay.com. This is another great place to search with the option of local pickup.
- The Facebook Marketplace.
What is the best bus to convert?
The best school bus for conversion is a short bus like our Thomas MinoTour Ford E-450 which offers more maneuverability, easier driving and parking, and better gas mileage than it’s larger counterparts.
How many miles can a school bus last?
These standards determine the maximum age and mileage for which a bus should be used. Smith said buses are expected to last about 12-15 years and 250,000 miles under normal conditions.
How much is an old school bus worth?
A used bus, depending on the condition and specifications, can run anywhere from $3,000 to $7,000, while a new bus will hit in the $50,000 range or higher.
What is the best school bus to convert to RV?
Well, the best, absolute best choice would be the Crown SuperCoach. It will look superb when converting it. They usually come only equipped with a mid-engine diesel with stick shift setup, but they’re very low maintenance.
What should I know before buying a school bus?
Here are 5 important things to inspect before buying a bus
- Chassis. The chassis is the frame of the bus. It is important that you check to make sure it is not bent or rusty.
- Rust. Depending on the age of the bus, you can expect to see some surface rust. If you see more rust spots than yellow paint, walk away.
How long is a short bus?
A short bus is from 20 – 25 feet in length. This makes it a perfect choice for those looking to be able to go and park anywhere a larger truck can park.
How many miles per gallon does a short bus get?
Buses are the safest way to get children to school, but they’re also fuel hogs that get only 4 to 6 miles per gallon.
How many miles can a school bus go on a tank of gas?
On average, a clean-diesel school bus can travel about 510 miles on a tank of diesel vs. only 270 miles on gasoline, based on the same standard-sized fuel tanks.
Who makes the best school bus?
Top 10 School Bus Companies
- Wayne Corporation. Topping our list of companies is Wayne Corporation.
- Blue Bird. An all time giant, the Blue Bird Corporation (formerly called Blue Bird Body Company) is clearly one of the top school bus manufacturing companies even today.
- Gillig Corporation.
- Ward body Works.
- IC Buses.
- Thomas Built Buses.
How much does it cost to convert a shuttle bus?
The buses are also cheaper than recreational vehicles. Prices for used school buses usually start around $3,500, Curtis says, and costs vary depending on size, model year and mileage. The conversion process can be done for under $10,000, enthusiasts say.
How many miles is too many for a school bus?
If you see anything with less than 60,000, from personal experience I’d say buy it. Since most companies want good use of the bus, they often wait to retire it til it reaches a certain mileage, like after 60,000 or 100,000. Finding buses with LOW mileage is uncommon, but don’t be discouraged.
What is considered high mileage on a school bus?
Highest on a school bus would be over 300,000. The way our district rotaion goes, we sell our buses after 10 to 12 years, so they rarely accumulate more than 200,000 miles. On the other hand, I have seen coaches with well over 800,000 miles on them.
How many miles can a bus drive?
In general, most American transit systems expect their buses to have a useful life of 12 years and 250,000 miles.