- 1 Why do Puerto Ricans call bus Guagua?
- 2 Is Guagua a real word?
- 3 What are some Puerto Rican sayings?
- 4 What does Guagua mean in Peru?
- 5 Why do Dominicans say Guagua?
- 6 What do Cubans call a bus?
- 7 Why do Cubans call a bus Wawa?
- 8 What does Guagua mean in Chile?
- 9 What is a cool Spanish word?
- 10 What does ditto mean in Puerto Rico?
- 11 What does Bobo mean in Puerto Rico?
- 12 What does Chula mean in Puerto Rico?
- 13 What does Guagua mean in Quechua?
- 14 How do you say bus in Spain Cuba and Argentina?
- 15 What is a Guagua in Dominican Republic?
Why do Puerto Ricans call bus Guagua?
In Puerto Rico, why do they call an autobus ” guagua “. It`s called ” guagua ” because the buses were too small at the beginning, so packages,baskets,luggagges etc. were carried on the top of the bus.
Is Guagua a real word?
Unbelievably, “ guagua ” – a noun which sounds like an onomatopoeia for a baby’s incessant crying – is believed to be derived from American English.
What are some Puerto Rican sayings?
Talk Like a Boricua: 14 Puerto Rican Spanish Expressions and
- A fuego. This phrase literally means “on fire,” but everyone—from toddlers to the elderly—uses the expression to say something is really pleasing or that someone is very attractive.
- La piña está agria.
- ¡No me molestes!
What does Guagua mean in Peru?
Puerto Rican Spanish Word GUAGUA | Means a bus or SUV #LearnSpanish #PuertoRico.
Why do Dominicans say Guagua?
In Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and some other Caribbean countries, guagua is how they call the bus. Some people say that this word comes from the English word: wagon, but there are others that state that it was because Wa Wa and Co. Inc. were the ones that provided Cuba with their first buses.
What do Cubans call a bus?
Guagua = Bus As funny as it sounds, buses in Cuba, very similar to what they say in Puerto Rico, are all referred to as guaguas (pronounced something like a “wahwah”).
Why do Cubans call a bus Wawa?
My teacher Pedro gave me the breakdown that the reason Cubans call buses “guagua” is due to the old system of buses used in Havana back when they were operated by horses, the conductor would ring a bell that would make a “ wawa ” sound. From then on, locals began referring to the bus as the guagua.
What does Guagua mean in Chile?
Bebé → Guagua Some people say that we use the word guagua in Chile for “baby”, because it means “baby” in the Mapuche language, mapundungun. You will hear both the words bebé and guagua in Chile, but most likely you’ll hear guagua used more often in informal speech.
What is a cool Spanish word?
Chido. This is the most common way to say “ cool ” in Mexican Spanish.
What does ditto mean in Puerto Rico?
votes. Dito is just a shorter way of saying bendito. Some also say ‘endito. Which means something like blessed be.
What does Bobo mean in Puerto Rico?
Juan Bobo is a popular, folkloric character in Puerto Rico whose name is “Juan the dummy.” and he is known for not being very intelligent. In a story about him, Juan Bobo had a pet pig that he dressed and over-accessorized; the pig is referenced in this phrase, that means “like Juan Bobo’s pig” when translated.
What does Chula mean in Puerto Rico?
What does chula mean? Chula is Spanish slang for “cute” or “a beautiful woman,” often seen in mami chula (“hottie”).
What does Guagua mean in Quechua?
Borrowed from Quechua wawa (“infant, child”).
How do you say bus in Spain Cuba and Argentina?
1. You would call a bus a guagua in C. Cuba. In Spanish, the word guagua means a bucket, however, in colloquial everyday speech, the Cubans also refer a bus as a guagua.
What is a Guagua in Dominican Republic?
Moving about the Dominican Republic by bus, also known as “ guagua ” by the Dominicans, is very comfortable and easy. First of all, you must know that there are two different types of buses in the Dominican Republic. On the one hand, there exist the urban, local buses or guaguas, which move passengers within a city.