- 1 How much is the T fare in Boston?
- 2 How do you pay for the subway in Boston?
- 3 How can I get free MBTA?
- 4 How much is a ride on the MBTA?
- 5 How much does a Charlie card cost?
- 6 Can I get a Charlie card online?
- 7 How do you pay for the bus in Boston?
- 8 Do you need a car in Boston?
- 9 How much is public transportation in Boston per month?
- 10 Why is it called a Charlie Card?
- 11 How do I put money on a Charlie Card?
- 12 Where can I reload my Charlie Card?
- 13 What is the difference between a Charlie Card and a Charlie ticket?
- 14 Do Charlie cards expire?
- 15 Where can I buy MBTA passes?
How much is the T fare in Boston?
To ride the T, you need to purchase a CharlieCard or CharlieTicket. These can be purchased at most subway stations at vending machines and at select convenience stores. The basic fare is $2.90 with a CharlieTicket or $2.40 if you have a Charlie Card.
How do you pay for the subway in Boston?
You can buy 1-day, 7-day, cash value, and monthly passes at fare vending machines. They are located at all subway stations. Fare vending machines accept credit, debit, and cash payments. Tickets and passes are available at retail stores throughout the region.
How can I get free MBTA?
Who Rides for Free?
- Children 11 years and younger. Children 11 and under who are accompanied by a paying customer ride the MBTA for free.
- People who are legally blind.
- Uniformed military personnel.
- Police and firefighters.
- Government officials.
How much is a ride on the MBTA?
A one-way ticket costs between $2.40 – $13.25. Round trip, 10- ride, and monthly passes are also available. Reduced fares are available for eligible riders.
How much does a Charlie card cost?
SUBWAY FARES With the Charlie Card, each ride is just $2.25. The fare includes a free transfer to the buses. Charlie Cards can be picked up at the Downtown Crossing MBTA and can be reloaded.
Can I get a Charlie card online?
MBTA riders can now pay for their Charlie Cards online, the transit authority announced Wednesday. New features on the T’s website, mbta.com, will allow customers to add value to Charlie Cards, set up recurring monthly pass purchases, and register cards for loss and damage protection.
How do you pay for the bus in Boston?
On all MBTA buses, you can pay your fare in cash with coins or bills, up to $20. To pay your fare, tell the driver you are paying in cash, and insert the amount displayed on the fare box.
Do you need a car in Boston?
If you live and work in the city it will be one of the easiest ways for you to get around. It consists of a system of trains, subway cars, buses, and even water taxis. Many residents of Boston live without a car and use the Zipcar service for the few times a year that they truly need a car.
How much is public transportation in Boston per month?
CharlieCard weekly pass: Unlimited rides, $22.50/week or $90/ month (assumes 4-week month, though would be slightly more than this if used weekly passes for a 30- or 31-day month ) CharlieCard monthly pass: Unlimited rides, $90.00/ month.
Why is it called a Charlie Card?
It is named after a fictional character in the folk song “M.T.A.”, often called ” Charlie on the MTA”, which concerns a man forever trapped on the Boston subway system – then known as the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) – because he cannot pay the 5-cent surcharge required to leave the train.
How do I put money on a Charlie Card?
– You can also add money at a Transit Center (Haverhill Transit or Buckley Transportation in Lawrence). Hand the customer service representative your Charlie Card and the amount of money you would like to put onto the card (in cash ) and the customer service representative will handle the rest.
Where can I reload my Charlie Card?
To receive your CharlieCard purchase(s) tap your CharlieCard at a Fare Vending Machine or a subway Fare Gate after 5:00 AM tomorrow. You can also update it at T sales offices at Back Bay, Downtown Crossing, Harvard, North Station and South Station.
What is the difference between a Charlie Card and a Charlie ticket?
CharlieCards are reusable cards that can be loaded with cash value or passes to pay bus and subway fares. CharlieCards are available at select MBTA subway stations. CharlieTicket, a paper ticket that can be loaded with subway, bus, Commuter Rail, and ferry tickets or passes.
Do Charlie cards expire?
CharlieCards last for years, but they do eventually expire. The expiration date of your card should be printed in the lower right-hand corner, across from the serial number. If no expiration date is printed on your card, you can look it up using a fare vending machine.
Where can I buy MBTA passes?
Customers who purchase a Bus or Link Pass on a CharlieCard can reload their Bus and Link Pass online at CharlieCard. mbta.com. Passes are also available for purchase at MBTA pass sales offices and retail sales locations.